The City of Burlington is seeking a Public Works Director to lead the Public Works Department. The next director will be an ambassador for public works in the community and be the face of services that touch each household weekly. In keeping with the City’s drive for delivering excellent customer service, the next Director will have a track record of having created, improved or developed a culture of outstanding service delivery across multiple disciplines. The next leader must be effective in communicating with diverse stakeholders and work to ensure the acquisition and application of cutting edge technology to effectively and efficiently deliver public works services to the entire community.
Reporting to the Assistant City Manager – Development Services, the Public Works Director plans, manages and oversees the activities and operations of the Divisions of Sanitation, Equipment Services (Fleet), Building Maintenance, Streets, and Cemetery & Grounds. Across all divisions, this position oversees 84 FTE employees and is responsible for a budget of $7.5M. The Public Works Department interfaces with every other department in the City and has extensive external contact with citizens, business leaders, local non-profits and NCDOT. The Director will interface with multiple elected officials and appointed Boards and Commissions. More information about the Public Works Department can be found at http://www.ci.burlington.nc.us/54/Public-Works.
As the Director, this person must demonstrate significant experience in a department with similarly diverse facilities and functions, serving an urban environment. The candidate’s work history must include well-rounded experience with minimum of 10 years of increasingly responsible experience in public works, engineering, or related fields, including 5 or more years of supervisory responsibility. Experience in local government public works or engineering is required. A bachelor’s degree in engineering (preferably civil), business administration, public administration, or related field, is required while a relevant master’s degree, professional engineering license, and appropriate certifications are preferred. The selected candidate will be required to obtain and maintain a valid class C North Carolina driver’s license; class B a plus. Expected hiring range is $80,000 to $100,000 depending on qualifications. The City offers a comprehensive benefits package including a supplemental 401k program. Burlington residency is not required, however, given the nature of the work, residing in close proximity to the City limits is preferred.
The successful candidate has a proven track record and is:
- outstanding at community engagement with the ability to engage with people from diverse backgrounds;
- supportive of highly competent staff while also increasing collaboration and cohesiveness within and across divisions;
- knowledgeable of theory, principles, practices and techniques of public works, general civil engineering, construction, sanitation, equipment services, cemeteries, grounds maintenance, street maintenance,; traffic control and facility management;
- knowledgeable of applicable federal, state and local law, codes and regulations governing the administration of public administration and public utilities functions and activities;
- an experienced project manager who is adept at overseeing major construction and infrastructure projects;
- experienced in developing employees internally to proactively plan for successions in anticipation of upcoming retirements;
- adept at developing an excellent customer service culture for internal and external customers while supporting and advocating for employees and the department;
- proactive in building collaborative external relationships with citizens, NCDOT, local stakeholders/non-profits, contractors, developers, engineers, and business leaders to effectively meet City goals and internal relationships within Engineering, BDOT, Planning/Code Enforcement, and other City Departments;
- resourceful in finding or developing innovative solutions to meet workload demands with reduced staff in a tight budget climate;
- an effective listener who seeks input from relevant parties, realistically assesses plans and consistently communicates;
- a principled leader who values accountability while holding realistic and fair expectations of self and others; and,
- an excellent and effective communicator, including one on one, small groups and public speaking, who confidently and persuasively engages citizens, community groups, staff, and Council.
Application and Selection Process
To apply for this position, click on the Public Works Director link, visit the Developmental Associates website. (Or cut and paste https://www.developmentalassociates.com/client-openings/ into your browser). All applications must be fully completed and submitted via the online portal. The application review begins August 23, 2018. On-site assessments will be held September 19-20, 2018 in Burlington. All inquiries should be emailed to email@example.com. Additional information about the City is available at www.burlingtonnc.gov. EEO Employer